Learn to drive a minibus
MiDAS minibus driver training
Islington Community Transport has extensive experience in training people to drive minibuses. We deliver regular training Minibus Driver Awareness Training (MiDAS) programmes from facilities in Hackney. This programme is also open to community groups from other boroughs - particularly those from Camden and Newham.
If you are a Group Transport member and you would like to self drive one of our minibuses, then, subject to these conditions, you will need a current MiDAS certificate to be able to do this. MiDAS is the national standard for minibus drivers in the voluntary and public sector.
Our MiDAS training is delivered by instructors who bring years of practical experience that will help you get the most out of your course. The course consists of a one day classroom session and a separate individual one hour on-road driving assessment. The programme includes:
- Legal responsibilities of driving a minibus
- Safe and environmentally friendly driving techniques
- Vehicle familiarisation and checking
- The correct use of passenger lifts and wheelchair restraints
- A certificate valid for 4 years upon successful completion
What participants say:
- Very helpful and supportive. Great feedback and answered all questions required. Will really help me within my job as a PE teacher.
- This was a refresher for me, but I was reminded of many useful things.
- This reinforced disability awareness and the standards required of escorts and mini-bus drivers; as well as the application of the law on mini-bus driving.
- I particularly enjoyed the practical training on wheelchairs - fantastic to see it in action.
- Useful to learn the legislation for driving a mini-bus. The practical assessment really helped me to understand the workings of fastening wheelchairs.
- The content was very thorough.
Each training course starts promptly at 9.30am and finishes at about 4.30pm. You will need to bring the training fee, yourUKdriving licence (both photo card and paper parts), and a passport-size photo along with you on the day.
The morning session: The first session is classroom-based, which consists of course registration, minibus driving and the law, defensive and environmental driving technique theories and a multiple choice test. This should last about 3.5 hours.
The afternoon session: After lunch, the second session consists of some classroom and some ‘hands on’ practical tuition regarding accessible equipment – i.e. the correct way to clamp wheelchairs onto a minibus and the passenger lift operation. This should last about 2.5 hours.
The practical assessment: The trainer will make individual arrangements on the day with you for a suitable date and time for you to return to undertake the third part of the course, the on-road driving assessment. This is usually carried out on the following day. Please allow up to 90 minutes for your on-road assessment. The full course must be completed in order to obtain a MiDAS certificate.
MiDAS Driver Training £60.00 per driver
MiDAS Minibus Driver’s Handbook £5.00 each
Hi-Viz Vest (mandatory for those not providing own) £5.00 each
Ash Grove Bus Depot
Our next courses in Hackney are
- Monday 9th February 2015
- Monday 23rd February 2015
- Monday 9th March 2015
- Monday 23rd March 2015
You need to be over 21 and have held a fullUKcar licence for at least 2 years. If you have 6 points or more, or recent driving bans, please speak to us in advance or be prepared to wait for insurance company clearance before you drive. Some foreign (non-UK) licences are acceptable – please ask in advance
For all enquiries regarding MiDAS training, please contact us on 020 7275 2414 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can book you place for the course online here or by calling 020 7275 2414